Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Holy Anti-Climax, Batman!


The number one movie over the weekend was... How to Train Your Dragon? This was followed by the J-Lo romance, The Back-up Plan, and in third place was the grown-up comedy, Date Night.
No Kick Ass, no The Losers.
I really enjoyed HTTYD, so I have nothing agianst it. In fact, I'd like to see it do well. It's also good that word of mouth has helped bouy a movie -- any movie -- after a slow start. But, c'mon people... What happened to all the action fans? Are you all abstaining in order to achieve a tantric, super nerd-gasm when Iron Man 2 opens?
It's over a week later and I still find myself thinking about Kick Ass. I realize the "realistic" violence turned some people off. Others were put out by the language. This is a movie that will definitely find its audience on DVD. It has plenty of commentary on the societal relationship with superheroes. And yes... there is such a thing. That's why The Dark Knight was one of the highest grossing movies of all-time. It's why Iron Man 2 will open big. It's why I drive down the highway and see people with Punisher stickers on their vehicles. (Where can I get one, BTW?) It's why comic books continue to be an important "sub-culture" feeding the mainstream culture.
If you like movies that ask questions, take a chance on Kick Ass.

No comments: