Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Humility of a Martial Artist?


I had an interesting experience as a martial artist this week. I was walking out of a meeting alongside my boss. In the waiting area sat a familiar looking man who stood when he saw us. My boss, who knew him, said hello. Then the man asked, "Tough meeting?" "Not really," she said, "Why?"

"Well, you brought your bodyguard with you," he said. My boss was perplexed at this point. "He's dangerous," the man said, "I've seen him in action." I was laughing. I'd figured out that the man was the father of one of my fellow students at the dojo. But my boss didn't even know that I was a martial artist. The gentleman's comments were both pleasing, and a little embarrassing for me. It's always flattering to be recognized for one's abilities, but it's even more important to have self-recognition of the limits of those abilities. So when this gentleman called me a "master" and bowed (!) to me, I had to put a stop to it all.

Humility is a virtue most people expect in a modern martial artist. However, it's not something we always get. Anyone remember the ruthlessly glory seeking Cobra Kai dojo in The Karate Kid? Have you seen the pro-wrestling-like spectacle surrounding the entrance of a Mixed Martial Arts competitor as he heads to the ring? Howabout the hype in the martial arts fan magazines ads for training videos? ("Kill ANY man instantly with these FIVE devastating, secret techniques!! I can tech you!!!") No matter, most people expect martial artists to be humble about their abilities.

humility of a somewhat different kind was expected of the classical warrior. And the frankly fawning experience I had reminded me of an old story.

Yagyu Jubei was the scion of the Yagyu family of swordsmanship instructors to the Shogun's family. The Yagyu family had developed a school of swordsmanship over the course of three generations, and it was renowned as a particularly effective method with several secret techniques. Even at a young age, Jubei was a true master and understood the distance and timing that spelled the distinction between life and death for a samurai swordsman. His skills were in much demand as an instructor, and no matter where he went, his reputation preceded him. The following story is the version recounted by Wayne Muramoto, a leading U.S. martial arts writer and a student of the Takenouchi Ryu:

Jubei was at a daimyo lord's estate when a masterless samurai, or ronin, managed to enter the domicile and requested a match. The two met with wooden swords. Two matches were played out before the daimyo.
At the end of the second round, Jubei turned to the swordsman and said, "Well, did you see the results of the match?"
The ronin said, "Of course, it was a tie (ai-uchi) both times!"
Jubei then turned to the daimyo and said, "Did my lord see the true results?"
The lord replied, "As the ronin said, they were both ties."
Jubei was disgusted, and told them that they were too inexperienced to see the actual outcome of the duel.
Angered, the ronin demanded a rematch, this time with real swords.
"It would be a good idea to stop asking for something unreasonable," Jubei replied coolly, but anger flickered in his own eyes. "You don't have two lives, you know."
The ronin kept pressing for a rematch, however, thinking that by decisively defeating Jubei he would secure his own fame. Finally, Jubei assented.
"Let it be on your own heads, then," Jubei said, passing a freezing glance at the daimyo and the ronin.
The two again met, this time with real swords, in front of the daimyo. The ronin attacked Jubei with the same technique he used in the previous two matches. However, Jubei's sword sliced quickly through the ronin's shoulder before he could utter a second kiai, or shout, and the swordsman toppled in a crumpled, bloody heap before the stunned daimyo.
Jubei was also touched by the ronin's sword, but the sword had only cut slightly through his kimono. Jubei had timed and distanced himself perfectly, something neither the daimyo or the hapless ronin were able to understand in the previous matches with wooden weapons.
"Please verify the match," Jubei said to the daimyo."Look at this dead man. True swordsmanship is a matter of a hundredth of an inch. You should have seen that in the previous matches and ruled it as such. This death was a senseless one."

That's the story. Modern readers are accustomed to humility being expressed as I did, in an exchange of: "You're the greatest." "No, no please; I'm just me." "Really, you're the greatest!" "Please stop, I'm not all that." "Truly, you are." etc., etc. It's sincere, but something of a self-mockery at the same time.

Jubei, on the other hand, lived in a world where reputation, experience, and actual skill all existed in a potentially deadly balance. Humility is a different concept in such a circumstance. Humility exists here in choosing the correct action. Jubei had several choices in the story. He could've ignored the ronin -- but to ignore too many challenges raised the specter for others that he was a coward. He could've completely thrashed the ronin in the first match, possibly even crippled him in a one sided encounter. Instead, he attempted to subtly overmatch the ronin, and respected him by allowing him the chance to see and admit his loss. Even when the threat escalated to live steel, Jubei allowed everyone else the option to back out of the match. The ronin forced Jubei into revealing his full skill in a decisive encounter; at that point Jubei's personal honor, his family honor, and even the honor of the Shogun was at stake. Given the time and place, he had no choice.

We might read this story and see an act of arrogance in Jubei's annoyance that no one appreciated the subtlety of his skill. We might even believe that Jubei won the encounter by killing the ronin. But I read this and see a man who fought reluctantly and with great humility. In the aftermath, he must have felt defeat having been cornered by circumstance. By recognizing that his martial skill was superb, but that his political skill to avoid the situation was still lacking, Jubei was probably humbled by this defeat and reminded of the long path still ahead of him to mastery.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sonny Chiba is the man.

He had me at "hai."

Anonymous said...

Was this information to be kept secret from your boss? I like the story. I also like this article

Anonymous said...

Ah. Velly velly good stolly. But this one time.. at band camp...

jrf said...

A. Was the information suppossed to be secret from my boss? No, not particularly. I don't go around advertising my training for many different reasons. But I also don't hide it. At this point in my life, martial arts is so much a part of who I am that I don't really think of it as something extraordinary that occupies only a distinct part of my experience. It's a fundamental part of who I am and part of what anyone gets out of me. That could be explored at length in a posting too, so I think I'll leave it at that for now.

B. Perhaps I should post a disclaimer regarding my martial arts postings. What you get is a view (not necessarily my only view) based entirely on my understanding of Budo/Bugei at that moment. It is not the only correct view, it is not the most correct view.

Here's a conditional statement -- if my training and learning has been good, it is most likely the correct view for me to be having based on my experience to that point; but it may be totally wrong when I reach the next level of understanding.

Budo is a journey, and that means that the perspective is constantly changing. There is the belief among many that writing something down about Budo is dangerous because it invariably will be supplemented by later training, and we could be laughed at for our naivete by more advanced practitioners. But if I go on a trip and take a picture of a mountain in the distance, should I have waited because I would be closer to the mountain in a few minutes and gotten a "better" view? Isn't the notion of "better" here subjective? I will certainly get a different view when I reach another point in my trip. Perhaps it is more detailed. Perhaps it is a view of the mountain that is more commonly recognized. But does that completely invalidate the earlier photo?

Hokusai, the great Japanese printmaker, did a series of prints that were views of Mt. Fuji. Each was a snapshot of life around and on Mt. Fuji. Each is a perfectly valid view of the mountain.

If I write about martial arts here, understand that I am sharing my personal perspective with you as it stands right now. I feel somewhat free to share because -- though admitedly this is on the internet -- it is not generally going to be seen by an enormous group of people -- mostly my friends and fellow trainees. Also, the nature of blogging is such that the forum evolves over time -- much like our understanding of Budo. So if we acknowledge the form as evolutionary in itself, then we should understand that everything in it is equally subject to change.

Anonymous said...

Huh.


OK, jrf.

jrf said...

Excellent. My plan is working.

Anonymous said...

Yagyu Jubei... I met him at the 26th Annual Nipponophile Club sponsored SciFi/Manga/Anime/Fantasy/Cosplay/Crazy Chop Socky Film Convention back in '93. He looked a lot like Sonny Chiba, only with a lot more hair. And an eyepatch.

We were on a panel together for Cult Fim Heores with Disabilities. He told a great story about how he really lost that eye, and I told him all about chopping off my own hand.

I got a real gutbuster out of the audience when I zinged 'em with the comment that cutting off my hand cost me half my sex life.

Yeah, right. The ladies all come round for the Ash-man. I thin it's because they admire the Ash-can. Besides -- and I don't tell this to just anyone, kids -- I've got several other motorized attachments to substitute for the chainsaw. If you know what I mean.