Wednesday, August 10, 2005

For the Glory of the Emperor!


You all know that I'm a big geek. I admit it, and I embrace it. So let me tell you, Dear Reader, just how excited I am about the upcoming Warhammer 40,000 releases.

WH40K (as we geeks call it online) is a sci-fi wargame. There a whole backstory about the grim, religious-cult fueled future of humanity and their numerous enemies -- all of whom bear a suspicious resemblance to Fanatsy mainstays such as orcs, elves, and at one long-ago time, dwarves. But the story is just an excuse to field incredibly detailed armies of crazy figures. There's always some reason for the players to pit armies gainst each other, even when they are suppossed to be allies.

Much of the fun is in building those armies. No matter how large an army a player owns, it started out a a pile of anonymous bits of plastic and white metal. Each piece had to be put together, posed, primed, and painted. Some gamers choose a quick color scheme ("These will be 'camo'.") and use no more than one spray can ("Where's that forest green can?"). Others will slave for hours over every figure, tryng hard to breathe life into each one. I fall into this second category. Since most of my hobby time will be spent making the figures rather than playing the actual game, why not try to make each one look his best?

I actually have four different armies. But my main army is the Black Templars, a force of formidable armored Space Marines. The beauty of the WH40K system is apparent frm this statement. With that simple description, you probably have some idea of the army's form and function without every having played a game.

The BT's are a fanatic bunch, utterly devoted to their religion. They excel in close combat, and though you would expect a sci-fi wargame to include all manner of death ray devices, the BT's preferred weapon is the evocatively named, "chainsword." But as a group, they maintain their share of missiles and death rays.

For years, BT players have had to cobble together a fighting force from various unrelated parts. But in October, we shall see the release of specialized Black Templar box sets of figures. Now our Marines will finally take on the image of crusading knights we hace all long imagined. I already have the equivalent of two full BT playable armies on my shelves. Nonetheless, I envision melding my current set with enough figures to make a third army in their own right. This shall swell the ranks of my Black Templar Crusade to a force of enormous proportions! No force in the Galaxy will be able to withstand my relentless advance!

whew.

And what's next for me? Well, something smaller. I'm imagining a squad of the Legion of the Damned. Or perhaps a tiny, but powerful Kill Team from the Deathwatch...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How long does one character take you to paint?

jrf said...

Well...

I like to put on the Barry White and relax a little first. Maybe have a little red wine.

Then, since I use a slow hand, it can last 4 or 5 hours, baby.

Sometimes, with a special little someone, I put aside a whole weekend to work my magic and really make it special.

Anonymous said...

Bary White, red wine, "painting" game fiqures, slow hand, lasting vs taking. Yikes. You scare me, jrf.

jrf said...

Never a dull moment.

;-)

What's scary is that except for the Barry White and red wine (which isn't good for steadying the hands while painting), it's still a fairly accurate description of the process.

You have to take your time, and 4 or 5 hours (spread over the course of a week or so) on one or two line troops figures (You can often work on two simultaneously) is not unusual.

For special characters -- commanders, heroes, elite units -- it's not unusual to double that amount of time per figure.

If you buy a few of these figures or vehicles at a time, it's not too expensive, but estimate a complete army at $250 or so. You don't want to screw up a figure beyond hope with that kind of "investment." So taking your time is important.

Anonymous said...

well, I don't know about u but i think that instead of playing board fantasy games, we should look to live action fantasy games.

you know..... we all dress up and do our d&d stuff in person instead of using action figures and boards.

me and my confederates play all the time and hardly anyone gets hurt.

jrf said...

"Hardly anyone gets hurt?"

Not exactly a ringing endorsement...

No thanks. I don't have anything against that kind of thing. By all means, enjoy it. Just not my thing. Besides, I like playing with my action figures at least as much as playing the game. And I don't need to find a bunch of equally deranged folks with open schedules.