Sunday, July 03, 2005

Twas Beauty that Killed the Beast

Did anybody see the trailer for Peter Jackson's remake of King Kong? I was disturbed at first that I would be forced to tune into Fear Factor in order to see the preview, but I overcame my aversion to so-called reality television. I was not disappointed.

Kong is king! We probably do not need to have TV shows like Bewitched or The Dukes of Hazzard turned into film remakes, but if a genuine fantasy film genius can be given the opportunity to remake (or update) a classic like King Kong, I say "Bravo."

Although I'd known Peter Jackson was working on Kong, I hadn't been following the progress. I was pleased to see that the story was still set in the Depression-era Thirties. I applaud the casting of Jack Black as the film producer. I'm excited to see an expansion of the Skull Island environment (read as: I like dinosaurs). Dare I hope that Peter Jackson include the giant spiders that had to be cut from the 1933 version because they were deemed too scary? I anticipate this movie will inspire several blog postings.

Spoiler: This link purports to be a draft of the Peter Jackson script. I haven't read it. I think we all know the big monkey falls down and goes "boom" but I'm sure there are other surprises along the way.

4 comments:

Holy Mother Eph said...

I couldn't help it. I had to read that entire King Kong script. It is kind of old, written nearly 10 years ago. So perhaps little of it will be left in the final film, through the countless drafts, as well as all the changes made during filming, plus the post work done in the editing room.

I don't like that as the last line. "Twas Beauty that Killed the Beast"? It's a fun play on words, but I don't think it summarizes his death appropriately. It sounds too much like that whole "blame the woman" theme, like in the Garden of Eden. I'm sure they've come up with something better. Or else they've changed the story so the line fits better. I have confidence in their storytelling abilities. I'm personally the worst storyteller of all time. I can't even orate the story of the three pigs very well.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the creatures on the island, in particular the dinosaurs. I get a little scared just pondering the harrowing feats that will be portrayed. I scare easily over such things, so it should be thrilling.

Anonymous said...

I cried at the end of the original.

I cried in the middle of the first remake when I realized I wouldn't be able to get my money back.

If Pater Jackso screws this up, he's getting a midnight visit from an angry Arashikage Master.

Anonymous said...

Peter Jackson's a hack.

(stormtroopers.)

jrf said...

George!
You crossed over from Dan's blog. Glad to have you.

Don't be jealous of Pete. Or he'll send his Orcs to meet your stormtroopers.