Friday, June 17, 2005

Travel in Single File

Many of you have already deduced that I have an interest (perhaps even an infatuation) with the Crusades. I was a history major in college and it is one of several different historical eras that intrigue me.

Another favorite period of history is the French and Indian War. I was excited to see this travel story about remembering the anniversary of the conflict. It's a pivotal moment in American history, and more Americans should know about it. Did you know that George Washington started the whole thing?

One of my all-time favorite movies is The Last of the Mohicans. It is a gorgeous film. I was so inspired by it that I even bought my very own tomahawk. The movie, based on James Fenimore Cooper's novel, is a fictional account of an actual series of incidents that took place in up-state New York. Although the movie was filmed in the Smoky Mountains, you can still visit the sites of the fort and the field where the a Huron massacred retreating British troops.

I am also interested in Major Robert Rogers, who commanded a unit of Rangers. These superb light infantry were recruited from frontiersmen, and conducted reconnaissance patrols and raids against the French. They were not the first or only colonial rangers, but they became the most famous. A slightly romanticized version of Rogers' Rules for Rangers is still issued to modern Army Rangers in training. The U.S. Army Special Forces count Roger's Rangers as the start of their heritage and regimental history. Ironically, given the virtual sainthood the modern U.S. Army bestows on Robert Rogers, he remained a loyalist during the Revolution and gained a second commission in the British Army.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last of the Mohicans was on last night, unfortunately in the made to fit your tv version. It is a great movie..one of my favorites. It could be because there is not a lot of dialog to screw it up.

jrf said...

Dialogue bad.
Fighting good.

Me hungry.

Anonymous said...

Don't have to talk for the sake of filling up dead air. Life is not radio.

Holy Mother Eph said...

This causes me to contemplate my own life and how it could be logged as a series of battles and expeditions. My life began down the Battle of Bloody Canal. Other battles, Battle of Wean, Battle of Sibling Rivalry, and the most trecherous and ongoing, Battle of Independence between my parents and I. Later in life there was a journey, the Zion Canyon Expedition, in which the Battle in Girl's Bathroom ensued. Both sides came to a truce and peace was restored resulting in a signed treaty and union. I've never seen Last of the Mohicans. Almost bought it at the thrift store a day or two ago, but opted for an English lit text instead.

jrf said...

Yikes.