Friday, June 17, 2005

Batman Returns!

I haven't yet seen the new Batman movie, but I can discern a few items of interest based on the reviews and ad campaign. So let's tick off a few items of trivia...

Batman was created by Bob Kane in 1938. It doesn't take a genius to see the antecedents to the Batman character: a rich playboy living in a castle-like mansion who dons a special suit and uses his superior athletic ability to protect the innocent. His origins go back at least as far as the medieval romances when knights-errant enforced the king's peace and meted out instant justice. More immediate precedents no doubt in Bob Kane's mind were Zorro (aristocratic vigilante, cave for a hideout) and the Shadow; both were pulp characters who coexisted alongside Batman for many years before slipping in popularity. Later Batman writers have found ways to incorporate some of these influences directly into the Batman legend.

Several Batman writers, notably the cantankerous Frank Miller, paid homage to Zorro with certain details surrounding the murder of Bruce Wayne's parents. This version of the story has the Wayne family returning home from an art-house showing of Tyrone Powers' Mark of Zorro when they are stopped by a thug who shoots them dead in his botched robbery.

The League of Shadows, and their monastery-like training fortress in Tibet are references to the Shadow. The Shadow was a character who enjoyed widespread popularity in pulp magazines, radio theater, and movie matinee serials. There was a late '90's movie starring Alec Baldwin that tried to breathe life back into the character. Despite hewing close to the source material, it failed terribly:

Lamont Cranston was a bored millionaire playboy who sought excitement by traveling the world. His adventures sunk him lower and lower into the depths of decadence and corruption until he settled into life as an opium warlord named Ying Ko on the Chinese frontier with the Tibetan Himalayas. His wastrel ways brought him to the attention of the Paladins of Shambala, who plucked him from his den of sin, showed him the error of his ways, trained him, and then returned Lamont Cranston to New York City as the Shadow. This cloaked vigilante manipulated a network of informers and agents to uncover crime before dealing justice on evildoers from the barrels of his matched-set of Colt .45 M1911's.

Shambala had its origins in Indian myth and was a hidden city of the Himalayas where the secret guardians of mankind dwelt. Shangra-La was also based on this legend, and the citadel of the League of Shadows recalls this ancient myth.

It should be said: there are no ninjas in Tibet.

First, the plural of "ninja" is "ninja," not "ninjas."

Second, the ninja and their secret fighting art of ninjutsu are the peculiar products of the history and place of Japan. Like nearly all combat arts, ninjutsu has similar analogs elsewhere in the world. So while their may be "ninja-like" groups in China (who may, or may not, have been called "Lin Kuei") or Korea ("Sulsa"), there are no Chinese Ninja or Korean Ninja. There were certainly no Tibetan Ninja. (Ok, maybe they moved to Tibet.)

In fact, the only ninja I know who's even been to Tibet is this guy. Maybe some others have vacationed there, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. There are ninja in the most unlikely places -- now.

One of the reasons Stephen Hayes went to Tibet -- aside from his interest in esoteric Buddhism -- was to interview the handful of surviving Tibetan warrior monks who held off invading Chinese troops in the 1950's and allowed the Dalai Lama to escape. Yes, I'm serious. Tibetan Warrior Monks. (I don't have much information on them. Let me look around. Maybe I'll post on them when I have more. But in any event, they weren't ninja.) Steve's other Tibetan connection is his friendship with the Dalai Lama. Steve and some of his advanced students have served as the Dalai Lama's close protection detail on several visits to the United States. (Apparently, there is or was some international diplomatic protocol that doesn't allow Secret Service or the State Department's Diplomatic Security protection of the Lama.)

So ninja have protected Tibetan holy men.

But there are still no ninjas in Tibet.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice entry. Have to be nitpicky, though -- I don't believe "The League of Shadows" in the new Batman film is really any reference to "The Shadow"...

jrf said...

Hey. This is my Blog. It's a reference if I say it is! ;-)

You know, after I posted this, it occurred to me that there was probably much more to the name "League of Shadows" than a simple homage to The Shadow. I thought there was an episode of the Batman animated series where a group of "ninja-like" assassins showed up and "Shadows" was in their name. Plus, I was too young to remember the '70's era Ras Al Ghul comic stories, so I don't know if the name was original to that arc.

However, when a character has been around as long as Batman and uses as much pop symbolism as comic book writers do, I don't think it's improbable that sometimes the symbols of layers of meaning. When you choose, as the writers did here, to use the name "Shadow" here in conjunction with a secret monastery-fortress in Tibet, it was probably a concious decision.

Anyone else have 2 cents?

Anonymous said...

Since it is a movie based on a comic book character, a new version of his beginnings and not meant to be historically accurate, I enjoyed the movie. The actors didn't talk to much. It wasn't campy until the end. But then again I didn't go in with a laundry list of expectations, such as a perfect tie in to the origins of "The Dark Knight", only that it had to be better than previous two Batman incarnations, and the suit didn't have nipples.

jrf said...

I demand total historical accuracy in movies when it comes to ninja! Which is why I hated The Last Samurai.
a.) There were only a handful of ninja left in Japan in the 1870's. With a little research, I can probably name most of them.
b.) Don't get me started about the black suit with hood and the sword slung across the back. It will end ungly.
c.) How is it that after 3-6 months of martial arts training, Tom Cruise can defeat armed ninja with the element of surprise? You know, ninja use to be badasses. Now they're mere cannon fodder. What the H-E-double hockey sticks happened?

"Go Ninja! Go Ninja! Go! Go! Go!"
-- Vanilla Ice, "Ninja Rap"

Holy Mother Eph said...

Most certainly there was a warrior culture in Tibet, which predates Buddhism and was the basic influence on Tibetan society until the Communist Revolutionary invasion of China in 1959. Since then, Tibetan culture and society is slowly disappearing and dying under the controlling arm of the regime. Native Tibetan people continue to flee to this day from the oppression. I'm sure that a lot of their records and writings were probably destroyed in the invasions, and continue to be replaced by Communist propaganda. Of course China will keep some of ancient Tibet around to bring in the tourists, but overall, Tibet is a country in suffering and it's people are being exterminated. Check out this site http://www.tibetanphotoproject.com/tibet2.html. There are also Chinese regulated sites aimed at Western cultures to try and delude or confuse investigators into this tragedy: http://english.people.com.cn/english/200007/21/eng20000721_46099.html. That really upsets me.

JRF, your ruining my idolship of Tom Cruise! I used to want to kiss him all over. Now every time I see him, I can't help recalling things you've said about him and feeling irritated by him. I think I was blinded by his beauty and you've helped me to see past that. Thank you.

Matt said...

Who gives a shit, seriously, if there really are no ninjas in fucking Tibet?

Anyone?

The ninjas could be in fucking Paris eating pate for all I care.

All I know is that Batman Begins fucking ruled.

Holy Mother Eph said...

Matt: It's ninja, not ninjas, you nincompoop. The Japanese language doesn't use plurals the same way English does. You're right, it doesn't really matter that the movie isn't factually perfect. Just like it didn't matter that the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park weren't all from the Jurrassic period. Who really cares? Only nerds like myself. My initial observation of you from your comment is that you avoid broad use of the English language by using vulgar and repetitive expressions you've picked up from your overendulgance and worship of pop culture. This blog is intelligent and entertaining, but after a quick glance at your profile you're probably too entangled in sadistic habits to let any other thought in. (This is harsh, but so was your cursing.)

jrf said...

Matt, she probably wouldn't approve of your blog at all.

And I think your profile is very distinguished. Very, well, Roman senatorial. A full on view of your face is also very noble. No one who met you would have any idea how your thoughts trail into the obscene.

I'm glad to hear Batman ruled. Maybe I'll get to see it while I'm on vacation.

Matt said...

Holy Mo: I just love using the word "fuck". It's my favorite, you see. I'm sorry you disapprove, but that's not going to change my "sadistic habits".

JRF: Thanks for your kind words in my defense. I do so like the fact that I do have that "wolf in sheep's clothing" thing going for me. I'm also quite smooth with the ladies...well, except Holy Mo.

jrf said...

Matt,

I didn't really regard my comments as being, "in your defense." You are more than capable of defending yourself and your command of English vocabulary.

Ninja are a different story. There are several lurking here, and they may take offense at your less than caring attitude towards their history. You might need me, or Mr. Glock, to defend yourself against angry ninja.

Anonymous said...

Ninja lurking ...here... not very good ninja if they appear to be lurking... The good ones are unseen not because they are hidden, but because they do not standout.

Anonymous said...

You forgot Batman's other contemporary, "The Phantom"

Anonymous said...

While I respect your vast research on both "Batman" and the Ninja, you failed to point out that Adam West is the Real Batman.

jrf said...

Of course Adam West is the real Batman. Just ask him.

Plus, he is the only Batman I know of to use his super hero identity to pick up hot chicks. And that's what real counts.

BTW, my research is rarely "vast." But that's part of the plan. If I really knew it all, this wouldn't be any fun.

Anonymous said...

I never used my secret identity to pick up chicks. But then, I'm much better looking than Adam West.