Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Harry Potter

I have a confession to make.
I spent almost ten, long years as a bookstore employee, and I never once read a Harry Potter novel. Not a word, not a page. Everything I learned about Harry and his world came from osmosis (and eventually breaking dow to watch the first movie). I did stay up late several nights to see his newest adventures roll out of the stockroom and into eager hands -- but not by choice. I own all the novels. But I haven't cracked the spine on any of them.

Do I have something against Harry? Not really. As a natural contrarian, I became more determined not to read a Harry Potter book everytime someone told me how good they are. My oldest and best friend lives for the stories and draws inspiration from them. My great uncle, a West Point grad and career Army officer, swears they changed his life. Fine. I'm just not that into Harry.

So why do I own the books. Simple. I knew I'd have kids someday; and now I do. I read every night before I go to bed, and I'm looking forward to teaching her that simple pleasure too. And you know what? I'm really looking forward to discovering Harry and his friends with her.

Anyway, here and here are two news items about the Harry Potter craziness about to be unleashed. If you know you Dumbledores from your Hufflepuffs, you probably are interested in them. Enjoy.

No comments: