Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Talk about being Lost


Blink and you might've missed it, but someone sent their computerized robot minion to post a comment here with an old article that tried to advertise her Lost discussion blog.

Now, I love Lost. I'm addicted to it. Every Wednesday my butt is firmly planted in front of the TV. It's the only current show I plan my schedule around (no, not NCIS). But I don't really want to waste much time speculating about every nuance of light and shadow, every passing reference to literature or art, or parsing out the zen wisdom of Locke.

Sure, I have some theories about those mysterious numbers (42? Has no one heard of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? 23? Well, I could tell you, but the Illuminati haven't cleared you for that. Fnord.) But the reason I don't hang on every frame of the show is that I detect two or three red herrings for every clue. I got burned speculating endlessly about X-Files -- and was disappointed when Chris Carter's much-touted mythology just sort of died out. (If anyone can explain the cosmology of X-Files, let me know.) These writers are smart, and if you couldn't guess from the episode Orientation in which Locke's reaction to the Dharma Initiative film was the same as every Lost Fanatic's ("Well. We'll have to watch that again."); the writers are having fun with the audience.

I'm enjoying the ride. I find that I'm more interested in the mystery of the character's backstories than I am about what's going on with that crazy island. I hope we someday find out what happens if the computer isn't refreshed with the numbers, and how the Black Rock ran aground in the middle of the jungle. But I can wait. I'm patient.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they're all high on mescaline and having a shared hallucination.

Anonymous said...

Shrooms. Definitely the shrooms.

But still a shared hallucination.

Anonymous said...

At the end of the series, Kate's going to wake up from the dream and find Jack in the shower.

Anonymous said...

I think it's all happening in Walt's imagination as he stares at a tropical island snow globe.

Anonymous said...

At least we won't have to endure a cameo by Bob Denver when the show jumps the shark.

Anonymous said...

Fnord.

Anonymous said...

Haven't heard that in quite a while.. "jumps the shark". What current shows have jumped the shark?

jrf said...

Desperate Housewives has lost me. I think CSI "jumped the shark" in all ints incarnation some time ago. But that, I think, is part of the appeal.

Anonymous said...

Pirates? You posted a pirate link last month. They're still in the news.

jrf said...

Yes, pirates are still newsworthy.