Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Pat Morita

It is with true sadness that I report the passing of Noriyuki "Pat" Morita.

I know, I know. Most of you probably have an inner cringe when you remember how cool The Karate Kid seemed way back when. But come on... Admit it: you genuinely liked it. This was an inspirational movie. It was like those young adult books your middle school English teacher assigned for book reports. You didn't want to admit to anyone that you liked the book, but you did.

And a large part of the reason we all liked the movie was Pat Morita's iconic -- if stereotypical -- Mr. Miyagi. Sure the film is somewhat predictable, but it is solid story telling with likable characters and compelling values. The "wax on, wax off" line may have become a frat house joke. And the undefeatable Crane Stance is a visual cliche. But none of that matters when you go back and watch this film. It sucks you in. You care about these people. You believe this story could happen. And we all wish Mr. Miyagi was someone we knew; because he's cool by being uncool.

This is the kind of movie you want to share with your kids. And I intend to do just that when my daughter is old enough.


Sayonara, Miyagi-San. Domo arigato gazaimasu.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A sad time indeed. Anybody up for waxing my car? Painting my fence? Sanding my deck?

Holy Mother Eph said...

Mr. Miyagi! I am now in mourning. I loved that guy. There was this one episode of Ohara that I still remember where he plays dead. He's kidnapped by these thugs and he has this skill where he can slow his heart down so much that his pulse can't be felt. The fact that the heart is a voluntary muscle has always freaked me out and I try not to think about it too much or else I start getting flutters.

Anonymous said...

Let's not forget his riveting portrayal as Arnold on Happy Days. His presence will be sorely missed.

Invisus Inauditus, Inpavidus