Sunday, October 28, 2007

Zuni Fetish Doll

Holy Cow! This may not look like much, but if you mention "Trilogy of Terror" or "Zuni Fetish Doll" to anyone who saw this movie as a youngster -- and be prepared for some screams.
"Trilogy of Terror" is three short stories linked by a common actress playing three different women. Don't ask me to tell you about the first two stories. I don't remember a blinking thing. All I remember is that the wisely saved the best story for last. A woman receives an odd gift, an ugly, fierce-looking African warrior doll, identified in the movie as a Zuni Fetish Doll. (Now, I understand that Zuni Fetish Dolls do exist. But they are made by the Zuni American Indian tribe... But don't nitpick when it comes to visceral horror.)
The doll has some ominous instructions: Don't remove the gold chain around the doll's waist...


Of course, that chain does come off. And the 12" doll comes to life, chasing the woman around her apartment, first with his spear, then with a carving knife, and even using his wicked teeth...

Does the woman survive? That would be telling too much. Maybe you should just see the movie. This was back in the day before Chucky played the homicidal doll as camp. Zuni was surprisingly terrifying. Even the old-style stop-motion photography that was used to animate Zuni added to the creepiness.








5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember. Scared the snot out of me as a little kid.

Holy Mother Eph said...

I think I remember that show too. I like how the doll talks...kind of like the Tasmanian devil. They should do something together, Zuni and Taz.

Anonymous said...

scared the bejesus out of me then, still somehow scares the bejesus out of me now

Anonymous said...

I was scarred for life. Saw the movie when I was 9, and couldn't be left alone for months after that! Took until I was well into my 30's to stop imagining that the doll was hiding in the air vents beside the toilet, waiting to spear me...I Never forgot the last scene with the horrible teeth in Karen Black's mouth. But, all that being said, I'd love to see it again!

Faery~Blue Creations said...

OMG they do exist!! I loved Karen Black in that movie! Even thought it scared the stuffing out of me as a kid,I soooo want one!! (this and the bride of chucky...lol)