Sunday, October 28, 2007

It's really very strange...

I bought a pumpkin for my daughter this morning.

On my way home, I was in a mood to notice how people have pumpkins on display. Sure, it's a given this time of year to see so many pumpkins. But I realized a simple truth. For most people, putting the pumpkin on the stoop or porch is all they'll do with the fruit.

A few people will still carve a Jack O-Lantern. But this seems to be a dying art as we all are too busy to even find a knife, let alone cut into a pumpkin and clean it out. I don't know anyone who actually uses a real pumpkin to cook a pumpkin pie from scratch. Everyone uses canned pumpkin.

So really, all we're doing is buying a fruit for display. Weird, huh? Now, don't get me started on Christmas Trees...



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, people in my neighborhood spend huge amounts of time carving elaborate designs in pumpkins. Now to be honest, these are almost all from kits, traced from patterns. Call it cheating if you like. They still look cool and take a significant amount of time.

Holy Mother Eph said...

We have fell on hard times lately and we were walking through the neighborhood to take the kids to the local park. We were noticing all of the uncarved pumpkins on people's porches and my stomach began to growl. I mentioned to my husband what a waste it was that people left all of this food out to rot. I suggested that later we should just snag a few and have a nice meal. We could even get some to carve for a nice family activity. I want some roasted pumpkin seeds so bad I almost did it.