Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Favorite Authors: Barry Eisler


I just finished The Last Assassin by Barry Eisler, which is the latest (and hopefully not the last) in his John Rain thrillers. These books follow the misadventures of Japanese-American John Rain, a cosmopolitan man with a love of Jazz, Scotch and Judo, who happens to be a top-notch hitman.

Mr. Eisler maintains a first class website, with an attached blog and his favorite links. I think many of Mr. Eisler's obsessions will appeal to my readers, so I heartily recommend his website, if only for the links.

There are many interesting tid-bits in the author's biography, but my favorite is his admission that he has always been interested in "forbidden topics." I sense a kindred spirit, and my mental image of his personal library matches my own bookshelves pretty closely. But I bet his collection is even better...

Another really cool thing about Mr. Eisler is that he has "been to see the elephant," so to speak. For example, John Rain is a Judo black Belt trained at the Kodokan dojo itself. Mr. Eisler also is a Kodokan trained black belt, earned while he lived in Japan. His love of martial arts is evident throughout the books. Mr. Eisler shells out the bucks to keep his own self-defense skills at a peak level, so if you ever go to a book signing of his... don't mess with him!

No comments: