Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Godzilla!!!!!!!


Godzilla finally gets released in original form on DVD in Gojira!

"Gojira" literally means "gorilla whale." Don't ask why. Who cares, why? Before you run out to buy the new 2-disc DVD set, you should know that the original Japanese movie is an allegory about the Atomic bomb and was meant to be taken seriously. The good news is, it is easier to take seriously without Raymond Burr added in. However, if you insist on the cheesy version, they do include the Raymond Burr version also. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But did you ever notice in "Ultraman" (the 1960's tv series) that the elite monster fighting team that protected Japan from the weekly nuclear bomb generated monster, the 4 best people that post war Japan had to offer, rode around downtown Toyko in a 1964 Chevrolet Corvair.


My, how things change.

Matt said...

J,

The Gojira DVD has great packaging, too. I've never seen the original version, so I'm very very curious.

jrf said...

I've never seen the orignal either! I can't wait -- but I'll have to, since I have competing concerns for my wallet right now. (See the swords posted here for just two potential negative cash flow inducers...)

I remember the sheer joy I had discovering the original voice track to Mad Max. It made the movie far, far less cheesy. And it became even more alternative reality.