Sunday, April 23, 2006

Beauty and the Beast

OK, so I was riding around in the gas-guzzler yesterday when my wife stuck in one of her new CDs. It's all sixties covers, and I was less than enthusiastic, but at least it wasn't Sixties British folk. (And, I decided long ago that as a man who still regrets not replacing his Poison cassettes with CDs, I have no right to criticize someone's taste in music.)

But then I realize, gee those voices sound familiar; so I asked. It turns out that Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs (yes, of the Bangles) cut this album, called Under the Covers (Vol. 1). So in an idle moment of curiosity at a stop light, I check out the liner notes to see how Susanna Hoffs looks these days.

Hey, I'm a man, baby. What do you expect? At least I'm honest about it.

Well, she looks great (see above photo). So here's a shot of the two singers together; not from the album stills, but it gives a good idea. Ready? Here goes:

Look at him. What a disgrace. He looks like he's just come home from the custom motorcycle shop where he's been artistically redesigning choppers all day. At least his hands aren't covered in black grease. Think it's just a bad shot? Think again:
At least he shaved for this performance. Look, I'm no Adonis, but I stay neat. I just don't know what to think. Except that maybe, in the words of a great philosopher, "I should've learned to play the guitar. I should've learned to bang them drums. That ain't workin'. That's the way you do it. You get your money for nothing and your chicks for free."

Anyway, here's another shot of Ms. Hoffs. I wouldn't want to leave you with Mr. Sweet on your mind and give you nightmares...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

jrf - You can get away with the slovenly look if you were an "artist". It always seems to be expected.

Anonymous said...

Susanna Hoffs....tsssssssssss HOT!!!!!!

jrf said...

Was I the only one that thought, after listening to her warble, "Is this burning an eternal flame?" that she should has a doctor check that out?

Anonymous said...

After 40 she should hope so..