Friday, December 23, 2005

Fresh from the North Pole Toy Shop

Would it be Christmas without a few toys? I was pleased to receive my newest two toys on Christmas Eve -- delivered by that Jolly Old Elf, the FedEx man.

Sideshow Toys produced four action figures this year for their Highlander license. The newest additions are "Origins" figures of the two franchise heroes, Duncan MacLeod (above) and Connor MacLeod (below).

The figures are dressed in the traditional Highland great kilt. Sideshow always does an excellent job dressing their figures and these kilts match costumes worn on film. Connor's (below) is in the actual MacLeod tartan, although it did not really exist in the 1550 timeframe of the movie. Duncan's kilt is sky blue without any pattern at all. Believe it or not, this is accurate. Although tartan (not "plaid," but let's not get off track) is associated with Scotland, and was used by most Celts far back into history, weaving a Tartan pattern was more intensive and expensive. So plain fabric was at least as common as Tartan. Family Tartans, like MacLeod, did not come into existence until the 1800's, after Sir Walter Scott wrote several historical novels romanticizing the Highland Clans.

Anyway, the figures also come armed with authentic swords. Connor carries the MacLeod Family proto-Claymore which accurately depicts the weapon from the film. Duncan sports the basket-hilt Claymore he used in the '45 Rebellion when he stood in support of Bonnie Prince Charlie. (I may have to do a post on the word Claymore...)

These are great figures. I highly recommend them to Highlander fans, or as the basis for action figure geeks looking to do historical conversions. Sideshow's next figure is the movie's memorable villain, The Kurgan.


No, I don't know what they're wearing under their kilts.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A young lass apraoched a Scottsman once and asked, "What do you wear under your Kilt?"

The Scottsman lifted his kilt slightly and replied, "have a look and see for your self lass."

The young lady looked only to realize that he was not wearing anything at all. She reeled back in shocked horror and said, Why sir that is Greusome!"

The Scottsman said, "Have another look any you will see that it has grew some more."

Holy Mother Eph said...

Hmmmm...a kilt can be very flattering on the right man. My cousin sported one for his wedding day and looked mighty fine. You know you're a real man if you can feel comfortable in a kilt(I think I've heard someone say that before).

jrf said...

Due to "publishing schedules," I had to write this article before I actually received the goods. I know, I know, it might seem like a fraud, but it's really just a slieght of hand. A bit of legerdemain.

Based on the previous dozen or so figures I received from Sideshow, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. And believe me, I wasn't. However, I do need to make one correction and an update.

Connor MacLeod is not wearing the MacLeod tartan as he does in the movie. The picture fooled me, but once I had the actual figure in my (hot, sweaty, nervous) hands, I could tell right away it was different.

As an update: The figures come with several accessories not visible in the photos. Connor comes with a leather vest, just like the one he wears in the movie, and an alternate weapon, the ivory handled katana he inherits from his mentor Ramirez. Someday we'll talk about katana and the Highlander movie. Too many katana myths start with that film.

Duncan also has an alternate weapon, a giant two handed claymore sword. Sweet.

Let me say again: brilliant figures!

jrf said...

True Facts about JRF:
I have a kilt and a hakama in my closet.

I even wore my hakama at training last week.

Anonymous said...

and boy were you cute in it..♥

Anonymous said...

is hakama japanese for "thong" or "jock strap" or something? i don't quite get it.