Friday, December 18, 2009

SF operating in Afghanistan


Wired's Danger Room blog ran a snarky semi-editorial about a Fox News piece concerning Special Forces doing aerial patrols and seemingly random searches of vehicles in Afghanistan. Apparently the wunderkinds at Danger Room objected to the fact that no useful information regarding the military strategy or tactics was released. It was all cool video of the SF Operators with their super-M4's jumping out of Black Hawks and searching Afghan civilians.


Hello? Why would you expect the Operators to give up the real inside story on an ongoing operation?


Why can't you -- like me -- just go "Cool! They're wearing MultiCam!"


It easy to be cynical about the small "piece of the elephant" you see in this video. I admit that the piece is feel-good fluff, but what do you reasonably expect? But there's a snippet near the end of this companion piece that reminds you why these guys (in their MultiCam) are out there in the first place. And no, the Special Forces aren't all there harassing locals by doing elaborate traffic stops... That's some classic counter-insurgency work.


3 comments:

Holy Mother Eph said...

Merry Christmas. Maybe I'll be stalking you again. I find your writing interesting, even on subjects I find boring.

jrf said...

MulitCam.

MULITCAM!!!!!!!!!!

jrf said...

I tend to write about boring stuff. It's sorta my schtick. I want to see how much boring stuff I can write before I get bored myself.