Sunday, October 23, 2005

Who Ya Gonna Call?


Well, Halloween is coming, and I suppose I should pull the trigger on this little item...

News from the Vatican.

What can you expect when they elect the former High Inquisitor to be the Pope?

In theory, of course, if you believe in God, there's no good reason to discount the Powers of Darkness. So I am loathe to make too much fun of the idea that once in a blue moon demons might attack a human being. But with all the suffering and pain we folks cause each other all on our own, I don't think the citizens of Pandemonium really need to be working overtime. Heck, they might as well have been on vacation in the Carribbean through most of the 20th Century. (Hmmm, that might be as good an explanation for this year's hurricane season as any other...)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will not mock the Church!!! I will have the Waffen SS, oops I mean the Swiss Gaurd, capture you and torture you by Roshambo. I was not called "Der Panzer Cardinal" for nothing.

jrf said...

Unlike you, I did not mock the Church.

Roshambo... jeez. You can do better than that, Torquemada.

Holy Mother Eph said...

The LDS church performs exorcisms, but in a different manner than the Catholic church. And they are so rare that many members have never heard of them being performed.

The thought, "what the hell is going on down there", has crossed my mind concerning the Carribbean weather patterns. I didn't really think of the comment in a literal sense. That's funny.

jrf said...

I don't have the stats handy or anything, but my understanding is that the United States has the most "exorcisms" performed. Also, the Catholic Church is not the main agent in these actions. Protestant denominations hold the lead in number of exprcisms performed. I don't have a firm idea of which denomination performs the most, but I'll see if I can't find out.

There's actually a checklist that must be examined before the Catholic Church gets involved in an exorcism. It isn't done simply because they think something's fishy. The Church likes to be comfortable that demons are afoot, and not just a mental illness. Also, there is a small corps of trained exorcists called in for these matters. It is highly unusual for an ordinary priest to perform an exorcism.