Sunday, October 23, 2005

Prom Night Hijinx


I don't know who these people are. It's amazing what you get when you Google certain phrases, like, "Prom Night."

I wen in search of an image to match these two stories about a school in Long Island that has decided to cancel the Prom. The reason? They are fed up with the financial decadence and sordid activities that has taken over the event. In their own words, "we are willing to sponsor a prom, not an orgy."

Now, this picture (not related to the school in the article) doesn't include the sex, drugs, and alcohol that have come to be prom night staples, but I do think it hints at the conspicuous consumption that has gripped the Prom experience. An SUV Limo? Yikes.

Maybe I'm just old, but I remember begging my dad to borrow the "nice" car to drive myself to the Prom. Limos weren't unheard of, but still rare. I balked at the $50 it cost to rent the tux. What do you guys think? Has Prom Night become something far different than it was intended to be?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some parents it is an opportunity to flaunt their wealth and for others it is an opportunity to keep up with the Jones'(Wait..what's the difference). The prom is supposed to be a little showy, remember prom is short for promenade. Merriam-Webster defines it as
2 : a leisurely walk or ride especially in a public place for pleasure or display
3 a : a ceremonious opening of a formal ball consisting of a grand march of all the guests.
A
website
dedicated to the new rules of the prom. Scary.

Holy Mother Eph said...

I'm certain that some kids spend more for their prom night then I did for my entire wedding.

Anonymous said...

Try the Style network, there is a show on it.