Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Time Keeps on Slipping


My 15 year high school reunion is being held in October. I breifly considered going. But then I noticed it was being held in the Cafeteria. This took me to a secure psychological place where I could say, "no."

I mean really -- the cafeteria? What's on the menu; strombolis and gravy fries? How awkward will I feel sipping beer underneath the 6 foot tall portrait of St. Francis Xavier? Worse, should I drop my beer, wil my entire class reflexively chant, "dick" just as they did over dropped cafe trays all those years ago?

Besides, with a few exceptions, I still see the people that matter to me from that era. I kept my close friends -- and the few that drifted mostly did so for good reasons. Most of the time when I bump into old classmates, its usually a sad moment when I realize how little many of them of changed. (But, not always...)

Take, for example, my picture of Hugh Jackman's Wolverine posted above. (No, ladies, I didn't go to school with Hugh, so don't ask.) Isn't he silly looking. I have a theory that Wolverine is badass because he's defensive about that hair style. And believe me, that movie cut is tame compared to the super-pointy comic book version. So imagine my shock a few years ago when I turned the corner in my bookstore and found the class geek standing in the aisle wearing the same outfit I last saw him in: jeans, denim shirt, and jean jacket with super-hero buttons. And his haircut was the comic book Wolverine hair-do complete with the sideburns!

I turned tail before he could recognize me and hid in the stockroom. As I cowered in a dark corner, I realized with a shiver that my classmate had been browsing the new parent section.

The horror. The horror.

Maybe it's just me, but as Lovecraft put it, "There are some things man was not meant to know," and this was one of them. Do I really need to go to a reunion and discover roughly 200 different terrors like that? Or would I just confirm my classmates' suspicions about me?

I'll stay home and read comic books to my own daughter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

jrf - I just passed on my 20 year college reunion. If I cared how everyone was doing I would have kept up with everyone. I keep in touch with a few people who were and are important to me. BTW I'm playing X-Men Legends for Xbox with my son in team mode and having a blast.

jrf said...

What if I went to my reunion and found out I was the only one not to be imitating a major super hero? I'd be missing out on a major cultural trend.

Which super hero should I emulate? I'm thinking Frank Castle, The Punisher. But how do I make it clear who my role model is to my other comic book obsessed classmates? Frank doesn't have a distinct haircut like Wolverine.

Holy Mother Eph said...

That Wolverine hairdo is special...very intimidating...or distracting. It kind of looks like George C. Scott's do as Ebenezer Scrooge in Christmas Carol.

I went to my ten year reunion last year. It was poorly planned and had no entertainment, but I did get to see a couple of friends I hadn't seen in a while. I liked high school so that's why I went.

I don't know who the Punisher is but I would just like to recommend not going in a trenchcoat with something seemingly hidden underneath.

Anonymous said...

I think I ran into some of your classmates at work the other day.

jrf said...

Thanks, Brew. I'm nearly sure you did. Some of those fine specimans of citizenry were bound to go down that road.

jrf said...

Attention:
Somehow, my update yesterday, Big Buki, appeared below my sordid Tara Reid pictures. Capt. Kirk may be able to explain this through some timewarp theory, but I'm still scratching my head.

My apologies if I've confused anyone. Please scroll down until you get to the wierd Japanese weapons.

Anonymous said...

this post

Hey jrf, you have a pretty good blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a fantasy knife Fantasy Knives. It pretty much covers
fantasy knife related stuff.

Come and check out fantasy knife if you get time, Nice going !