Wednesday, May 25, 2005

So Long, Lopez...

It is with great sadness that I report to my fans outside the Baltimore area that one of the great voices of the city passed away over the weekend. R. Edward Lopez, who spent 28 years as the morning newsman for legendary 98 Rock WIYY-FM 97.9 lost his battle to cancer on Sunday.

I have long since stopped listening to the hair metal wannabes that make-up the bulk of the station's playlist, and these days I'm trying to be well-informed by news during my morning commute. However, I was greatly saddened by the news. Lopez woke me up many mornings during high school and college. It was frequently his voice that announced the snow closings. As part of the morning comedy teams running the drive time shows, he made me laugh.

While he was a self-confessed bleeding heart liberal atheist, I managed to agree with him on the right for individuals to own high-powered assault weapons. He and I were both gun nuts, so he couldn't have been all bad.

Thanks for the memories Lopez. We'll miss you.

No comments: